Saturday, July 01, 2006

Caution: Gift Card Costs

Nowadays, it's always the season for giving gift cards. But check the fine print before you buy. Some gift cards expire after a certain amount of time, typically 12 or 24 months; others may even charge a "maintenance fee" of a few dollars a month if you don't spend the total balance within a certain amount of time. If you order a retail card online, you should also check to make sure that it can be used in your local store, as well as for buying things from the retailer's online catalog. (A few years ago, my stepmother sent me a card from a major retailer, and I was surprised to find that I could only use it for items purchased from the retailer's website. Couldn't find anything I liked, and they wanted to deduct $5.95 when I asked they send me a store card instead. A big deduction for a $20 card, no?)

So.....read the fine print before you buy those little plastic squares for birthdays, graduations, etc. Retailer cards, bank cards, even the cards you're planning to give your employees for Christmas, a growing trend among corporations. You don't want a friend or loved one's holiday memories to involve expired cards and hidden fees!


No comments:

Post a Comment