Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sneaks and Scams: Before You "Pick Up The Phone and Call"

Okay, I've going to make a shameless plug for my new favorite web page, Popular Mechanics' "Not Seen On TV."

This is a part of the PM website where they actually test all those "Only $9.95! But wait...there's more!" products advertised on television. I will admit that I've often had the urge to "just pick up the phone and call!" but so far I've resisted. After all, if you buy something in a store and it doesn't work as advertised you can take it back to the store, fix a hapless assistant manager with a beady-eyed stare and say "I want my money back or else!" (Usually works for me, but then, my beady-eyed stare is legendary.)

On the other hand, if you order something off a TV commercial, there's the worry about giving your credit card number to a company that--well--sells products on TV. There's the worry about arguing about the product's effectiveness on a long-distance basis, the worry about whether you've going to get your shipping costs back, the hassle of packing the item up and hauling it to your local post office ....Okay, I worry a lot. (Hey, as the editor of this blog, it's part of my job description.)

Also, I hate buying things on the basis of a video demonstration. As a former video producer and director, I know how easy it is to rig--just a little!--such demonstrations. A carefully chosen camera angle, a little judicious editing and you can make a product look much, much better than it is. So when you watch these things, you just have to wonder....

(An example? You've seen the Sham-Wow commercial? Remember the part where the cola is poured through the chunk of carpet, then totally sucked right back up by the Sham-Wow? Did you notice that little puddle of cola showing in front of the carpet square, then--cut!--suddenly, before the Sham-Wow is brought into play, that little puddle's not there anymore? Now maybe there's a perfectly good explanation for that, but it totally destroyed the credibility of that commercial for me.)

The folks at Popular Mechanics are equally sceptical. So they test this stuff. They found that the Sham-Wow will actually suck cola up through a chunk of carpeting...except for the last few drops. (The reviewers suggest keeping some paper towels around.)

They found that the Awesome Augur is really only "awesome" when it comes to digging little holes suitable for disposing of....well, you need to read the review. They liked the Hercules Hook,though it fell a bit short of the TV ad's claims. (Don't use one to hang a lawn mower!) They did love the little blue Pro Caulk tool. (I've been dying to buy one of those and now maybe I will.)

So....if you've been tempted to just pick up the phone and call, check this website first. Not only does it provide the straight scoop on such products, it's a hoot to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment