Saturday, January 10, 2009

Readers: Are Coupons Really Worth the Effort?

MoneyToSpare.net is now offering an 30-page e-booklet detailing a number of ways to save money on groceries. (See the sidebar for more info.)

One method that's not included is the use of coupons, for two reasons.

First, I've noticed that most coupons seem to be for highly marketed national brands that sell at premium prices compared to similar products. Getting a few cents off on something that's overpriced to begin with is not my idea of smart shopping.

Secondly, coupons seem to involve more time and effort than they're worth. First, you have to sift through the Sunday paper's avalanche of advertising; clip, if you can find them, coupons for items you actually want; then sort them somehow so when you go shopping, you can find the right coupon for a particular product. (Yes, I know that you can buy little sorting folders, I just wonder how much time they actually save.) Then you have to remember to use the coupons before they expire. (Do the little folders sort by date or alphabetically?)

It just seems to me that you'd end up putting in five minutes worth of work to save $.50 (on a product that's overpriced to begin with) which works out to paying yourself at the rate of $6 per hour, not exactly an exciting prospect.

Still, I may be wrong. (It happens!) So I'm asking those of you who use coupons to let me and the readers of this blog know what we're missing, by either sending me an email at csykes@syryn.com or leaving a comment.

Show me the error of my ways! Convince me and I'll collect the best coupon expert's tips and include it in an update of "8 Ways To Save Up To 40% On Your Groceries."

P.S. Yes, I do know about cashier coupons and other special coupons that offer "2 for 1" deals or "$1-off" deals. But these aren't that common. So let me know how you make out with "regular" coupons...and for a valid comparison, please calculate and include the time you spend clipping and sorting.

No comments:

Post a Comment